For those who are new to dancing, the experience of joining your first in-person dance class can be quite intimidating. Here are some tips to help you prepare:
- Choose the right class: Different dance styles require different levels of physical ability and coordination. Be honest with yourself about your skill level and choose a class that is appropriate. For example, a beginner contemporary or even heels class requires a bit more flexibility and body control and awareness than a beginner hip hop or jazz funk class. You want to make sure you’re in a class where you’ll feel comfortable and can progress at your own pace.
- Dress appropriately: Comfort is key when it comes to dance. Make sure to wear clothes that allow you to move freely, such as leggings, baggy sweatpants, and a t-shirt. Also, wear supportive shoes that are appropriate for the dance style you’ll be learning.
- Arrive early: Arriving early will give you time to meet the instructor, get acclimated to the studio, and warm up. This will help you feel more relaxed and ready to start your class.
- Be open-minded: Dance is a form of self-expression, and every dancer has their own unique style. Don’t compare yourself to others in the class and be open to learning from them.
- Focus on having fun: Remember that dance is about having fun and letting go. Don’t be too hard on yourself if you make a mistake. Instead, focus on the experience and enjoy yourself.
- Be patient: Learning to dance takes time and practice. Don’t expect to master a dance style overnight. Focus on making progress and having fun, and you’ll be surprised at how quickly you’ll improve.
By following these tips, you’ll be well prepared for your first dance class and ready to enjoy the experience, and if you’re ever in LA, dance with us at TMILLY’s studio in person!